Monday, June 7, 2010

repurposed tie dye layered dress

I have had an idea for a dress to make for awhile now, I just hadn't gotten around to it. I wanted the whole dress to have layers, all the way to the top. Unfortunately, the best plans sometimes don't work out! This is what I came up with instead.

I had about 4 of my husbands old t-shirts, that I Tye dyed a few months ago, waiting for the perfect project. I already used some of the shirts for this dress . I still had more shirts laying around, so I decided to put them to good use.
I took this shirt, and used this as the fabric for the dress.

Here are the other shirts, I would use too.


I cut this dress out of the shirt, using the existing neckline, and sewed the side seams. I folded under and sewed up the inside sleeves too, and then was ready for some embellishing.



I cut 4 inch strips of fabric from the shirts, and ruffled them using the high tension, high length technique...love that! Then I sewed each layer on starting at the bottom, and went up. I was hoping to have enough layers to make it all the way to the top, but even with 4 shirts, I didn't, so I stuck to just putting the layers on the bottom.



My model is sick with the stomach bug, so the tree gets to model the dress today. Hopefully, these old t-shirts will get some wear this summer as a new dress.




2 comments:

Melissa said...

Perfect colors for summer - so sherberty or pop-icey - Go Mom!! Too bad the model wasn't feeling good - hope she improves!!

Erin @ Crafts and Sutch said...

Holy cow! I just realized that I haven't been following you! YIKES! I've been following you, but only through bookmarks...until I learned how to follow on Google. LOL!

Stop by craftsandsutch.blogspot.com when you get a chance to see what I've been up to.

Have a super weekend!
Erin :)